Sunday, 9 June 2013

Behind The Candelabra

I have got to say, I friggin' love Westfield in Stratford (London)! Anyone who has not been there must go at some point. It's so huge and there's so much to do! Now, I know there will be some of you thinking, 'But I get lost so easily in big places. I don't think Westfield's is the place for me.' But WAIT dear friend! I have often found myself in unfamiliar territory filled with confusion and I had absolutely no problems when frequenting the shopping centre! It couldn't have been easier. So now onto the main course, the focal point, the reason we are here...

Unsurprisingly, Westfield's has a cinema and after hours of shopping, naturally my friends and I decided to put our feet up and watch Behind The Candelabra starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. I confess it was not our first choice but a fine choice it was. Having seen the trailer already, I expected it to be quite an upbeat, funny movie which it was, however I wasn't quite prepared for how serious a film it is also. As well as being a charming movie, it's also quit hard hitting when you witness the disintegration of the relationship between Liberace and Scott Thorson. The performances by Douglas and Damon were surprisingly quite brilliant. Damon's transition from small town foster child to a drug addicted lover is flawless (apart from the drugs part, drugs are naughty...moving on). Douglas is utterly convincing as the ever extravagant showman that was Liberace and still is able to convey the loneliness that comes with stardom. Now a word or two has to be said about Rob Lowe who plays the plastic surgeon Dr. Jack Startz. I have never seen any actor steal the show like he has. Although he hasn't much screen time, it's his screen presence that one is mesmerised by. And of course all of this was captured beautifully by the director, Steven Soderbergh.


So basically, what I'm trying to say is, WATCH IT! If you have good taste in movies (like myself, obviously) you'll love it. Don't be put off by the graphic gay sex scenes in it, it's just sex people! Sexy people having a sexy time... well not too sure about Michael Douglas being sexy but Matt Damon deserves a mention for his sexiness. So does Ashton Kutcher (even though he wasn't actually in the movie). I get the feeling I'm drifting slightly from the topic... Oh well, here's the trailer! Behind the Candelabra (2013) Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment